Happy Thursday Main Streeters. Welcome Back! In an effort to stick to our healthy resolutions, we over here at TMSM have been trying out some recipes in the instant pot cooker. If you aren’t familiar with what that is, it’s like a crock pot and a pressure cooker had a baby to help you cut down on your cooking time and serve flavorful meals. This got me thinking, what Disney dishes can I cook in the instant pot?
A quick internet search of top Disney dishes brought up a recipe for Butter Chicken that is a favorite over at Sanaa located in the Disney’s Animal Kingdom Resort Area within the Disney’s Animal Kingdom Villas – Kidani Village. I took the original recipe I found and made a few tweaks to the directions and the ingredient list based on the recommendation Chef Charming (my husband, who is a real life chef).
Since I mentioned that the instant pot is like a crock pot and a pressure cooker had a baby, and we had a baby giraffe born this week at Animal Kingdom, I thought this was a fitting recipe to share. For those of us who can’t get to the parks, or go dine at Sanaa where the animals roam the Sunset Savannah, this little dish is like bringing Disney right into your own home.
Here are the ingredients you will need:
- 2-3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1″ chunks
- 4 tbsp butter
- You can also use ghee
- 1 large onion, diced
- I like to buy mine already diced in the produce section of my local market – cuts down on prep time.
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- You can also buy your garlic pre-minced in the produce section.
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 12 oz jar tikka masala
- 1 can tomato paste
- 12 oz water
- 1 c heavy cream
- 1/2 c greek yogurt
As an accompanying dish, I recommend making some jasmine rice in a rice cooker or the traditional stove top method. It pairs very nicely with the butter chicken.
Now let’s get cooking.
- Turn the instant pot to the saute setting.
- Add butter (or ghee) and the onions, garlic, and ginger.
- Saute for 2 minutes, until they start to soften and brown.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, and salt.
- Stir in and then add the tomato paste.
- Add the chicken, the jar of tikka masala, sugar, and water.
- Stir in until all is combined, then secure the lid.
- Set the instant pot to 11 minutes.
- When the instant pot says its done, allow the pressure to release naturally for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid after the pressure has released, and stir in your heavy cream.
- You can also stir in the Greek yogurt for consistency sake.
In total you’ll be spending about 30 minutes cooking, and 40 minutes if you wait for the pressure to release naturally from the instant pot.
Hope everyone enjoys the recipe!
- Will Galaxy’s Edge be available during Extra Magic Hours? - May 23, 2019
- Three Limited Disney Rewards for Summer - May 16, 2019
- Walking in Walt’s Footsteps - May 9, 2019