From the Disney Parks Blog and written by: Thomas Smith
Just in time to celebrate its 30th Anniversary in 2022, Sleeping Beauty Castle is now reopened to guests at Disneyland Paris after 12 months of renovation! Featuring gilded, golden details and unique, lavish mosaics, the symbol of Disneyland Paris is sparkling brighter than ever before thanks to Walt Disney Imagineering teams and construction masters who came together for the largest refurbishment the castle has seen since its opening in 1992.
One of the remarkable aspects of the extensive renovation of Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland Paris was the meticulous attention given to every detail, including the selection of roofing materials. To ensure the castle’s grandeur and longevity, the Walt Disney Imagineering teams partnered with skilled craftsmen experienced in specialized roofing installations. The experts meticulously carried out the synthetic cedar shake shingle installation, replicating the timeless beauty of traditional cedar shakes while incorporating the benefits of modern synthetic materials. This innovative roofing solution not only adds an enchanting touch to the castle’s appearance but also offers enhanced durability and protection against the elements, ensuring that Sleeping Beauty Castle continues to inspire awe and enchantment for generations of visitors to come.
“It was the first time we undertook something so monumental. Certain effects have even been improved so that the castle’s structure will be even more resilient in the upcoming years,” said Tracy Eck, Art Director, Walt Disney Imagineering Paris, who supervised the work done to breathe new life into the castle. “It took nearly a year to complete these works on site with all of the teams. Painters, electricians, gilders, craftspeople in charge of the tiled roofs… It was a hive of activity.”
Disneyland Paris also has a long history of collaborating
with French and European craftspeople to build and maintain décor across the
resort, and this very special project was no different. Imagineering and
construction teams called on various French experts in historical monument
refurbishment across carpentry, roofing, painting and ironworking to lend their
skills to the project, which saw Sleeping Beauty Castle recognized as a valued
monument in France.
“Some of the suppliers with whom we were lucky to
collaborate on this project only work on historical monuments. When they
accepted this assignment, we realized that they viewed our castle as a
historical monument that is a part of our heritage. It was very touching,” said
Let’s take a look at how the team brought their skills
together to restore Sleeping Beauty Castle:
And did you know that there are even special hidden
references to France throughout Sleeping Beauty Castle? Some are fun and symbolic,
such as golden snails that seem to be trying to get away from French cooks –
and some are more artistic, like the geometric gardens inspired by iconic
French tapestries. Here are some more fun facts about the renovation of this
- Sleeping Beauty Castle is 141 feet tall, with its tallest tower standing 55 feet high and weighing 15 tons.
- Renovation of the castle took 50,000 hours.
- 19,900 slate tiles were custom designed and installed on the roofs using 19,900 hooks. As a result, 4.8 miles of slates were cut.
- 41,200 gold leaves were applied by hand to gild certain parts of the castle.
- The team used 1,200 liters of paint throughout the project, including 14 different shades of pink.
- Since Disneyland Paris is Europe’s top tourist destination, Sleeping Beauty Castle is the most visited castle in Europe!
- Easter Displays & Grand Cottage Returning to WDW! - February 21, 2024
- Spring Blossoms at the EPCOT Intl Flower & Garden Festival - February 21, 2024
- Disney Eats: Foodie Guide to Women’s History Month 2024 - February 20, 2024