From the Disney Parks Blog and written by: Jeremy Schoolfield
I’ve loved basketball since I was little, and like millions of other kids around the world, I dreamed of what it would be like to play in the NBA. The plastic hoop in my parents’ basement was the scene of countless slam-dunk competitions, as I mimicked the high-flying moves of my favorite players.
In summer 2019, NBA Experience will open at Disney Springs and allow kids of all ages (including yours truly) the chance to live out those dreams in a whole new way. Developed by Walt Disney Imagineering in collaboration with the NBA, this one-of-a-kind destination will feature hands-on activities that highlight the action and excitement of professional basketball.
NBA Experience will be full of thrills, whether you’re a lifelong fan like me or you’re brand new to the game. When you step inside this immersive environment next year, you will:
- Experience one of the biggest milestones for a basketball player at the NBA Draft with a photo moment that re-creates the atmosphere of the draft stage.
- Track and improve their jump shots and passing skills in a replicated NBA Combine challenge, complete with a scouting report that highlights their stats at the end of the session.
- Step onto the court and hear the roar of the crowd as they maneuver through a series of timed shots to aim for a high score.
- Execute the perfect slam dunk just like NBA superstars, captured by cameras surrounding adjustable baskets.
- Test their ball-handling skills with an interactive trainer who will challenge them with a variety of dribbling routines.
- Use an oversized slingshot to launch basketballs at hoops of varying heights, making as many shots as possible before the clock runs out in this thrilling timed challenge.
- Immerse themselves in the rich legacy and history of NBA and WNBA championship-winning teams.
- Access a team locker room that showcases up-to-date statistics and visuals of top NBA and WNBA players.
- Test their knowledge of the NBA and WNBA – past and present – during a trivia game with up to 25 participants competing against one another to be champion.
- Enjoy two 180-degree cinematic presentations that showcase the in-arena experience moments before the start of the game, as well as special stories from the players’ perspectives.
- Take a seat at an interactive multi-screen module to watch replay clips from NBA games, using the tools at their stations to make the right calls.
- Play interactive basketball games, from the fan-favorite Pop-A-Shot to modern video games
To top it all off, you’ll be able to explore a retail store featuring exclusive NBA-themed merchandise designed by Disney.
We’ll have more details for you in the coming months, so keep checking the Disney Parks Blog as we get ready for the grand opening of NBA Experience next summer. Until then…keep working on that jump shot.
- Adventures by Disney Announces First-Ever Dedicated Expedition Cruises - January 20, 2021
- First Look at Actor Tom Holland as Peter Parker in WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure Coming to Avengers Campus at Disneyland Resort - January 19, 2021
- Some Exciting News from The Muppets Studio About ‘The Muppet Show’ - January 19, 2021