From Melanie Vogel, External Communications Specialist, Disneyland Resort
Hello, I’m Melanie! My colleague Kevin Rafferty, Jr., who has brought you “Every Role a Starring Role” for the last few years, is on a special assignment and has temporarily passed me the baton to bring you Disneyland Resort cast and community news. One of my favorite experiences as a Disneyland Resort cast member is watching Main Street, U.S.A. don its iconic red, white and blue décor each summer, offering a month-long celebration of our nation and those who defend our freedom.
This July is especially momentous for cast members with connections to the military as SALUTE, a new diversity resource group, officially launched yesterday at the Disneyland and Walt Disney World Resorts with patriotic ceremonies on both coasts. Cast members participating in SALUTE will help provide a military perspective that will enhance the cast and guest experience.
SALUTE is an extension of Disney’s longstanding support of the armed forces, which dates back to Walt Disney’s service in the Ambulance Corps during World War I and his brother Roy’s service as a petty officer in the Navy.
SALUTE is the sixth diversity resource group at Disneyland Resort and the seventh for Walt Disney World Resort. These groups serve as resources to the company and our cast by sharing the unique perspectives and contributions that diverse communities can offer.
Additional diversity resource groups on both coasts include:
- CastABLE: Promoting respect, equality and an appreciation of people with disabilities.
- COMPASS (Community of Pacific Islanders, Asians and Allies): Enhancing cast, guest and community relations through Asian and Pacific Islander cultural awareness and business practices.
- FAMILIES: Focusing on family-related interests. (Walt Disney World Resort only.)
- HOLA (Hispanic Organization for Leadership Advancement): Promoting Hispanic/Latino heritage and cultural exchange.
- PRIDE (People Respecting Individual Diversities in Everyone): Serving gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender cast members by providing resources, learning opportunities and a supportive network.
- PULSE (People United to Lead, Serve and Excel): Developing cultural, educational and professional opportunities for cast members of African heritage.
- DISNEY+ PRESENTS Q&A WITH MARVEL STUDIOS’ KEVIN FEIGE AND PANELS ‘BIG SHOT’ AND ‘THE MIGHTY DUCKS: GAME CHANGERS’ AT 2021 TELEVISION CRITICS ASSOCIATION WINTER PRESS TOUR - February 24, 2021
- ‘WandaVision’: Robert Lopez and Kristen Anderson-Lopez Break Down the TV Theme Songs - February 23, 2021
- Magic Kingdom TV Universe in the Works at Disney+ (Exclusive) - February 23, 2021