From the Disney Parks Food Writer, Pam Brandon.
One of our favorite stops for a bite at Disneyland park is Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe on Main Street, U.S.A. Here, there’s a little something for everyone, from a nearly endless array of sweets to savories like a hearty pastrami Reuben on rye or a grilled veggie and whole-grain salad. The Mary Poppins theme just makes us smile, and it’s the only spot you’ll find the Practically Perfect Punch and Cherry Tree Lane Lemonade – which may have you humming “Superfcalifragilisticexpialidocious!”
The menu changes often, and we found two new muffins worth a stop: blueberry sour cream with cinnamon crumbles and powdered sugar, and a chocolate chocolate-chip muffin that’s full of chocolate chips (a chocoaholic’s delight). Either pairs perfectly with a latté or hot tea.
The Jolly Holiday menu includes some special tastes you won’t find anywhere else at the Disneyland Resort, such as the toasted cheese and tomato-basil soup combo, and the seasonal quiche with house salad. We’re fans of the Jolly Holiday salad, with lettuce, spiced pecans, feta cheese, red and yellow tomatoes and Craisins dried cranberries. The sweet-tart raspberry vinaigrette takes it over the top. Seasonal soups, too, are always a treat – right now it’s the hearty cheesy enchilada soup. Here is the recipe for this guest favorite.
Cheesy Enchilada Soup
Serves 6 to 8
- 5 yellow corn tortillas, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped garlic
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 15-ounce can tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon Tapatio hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a 10-inch skillet. When oil is hot, add tortilla strips and stir until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Cook onion in remaining 2 tablespoons oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until translucent. Add garlic, bell pepper and corn; cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in chicken stock, tomato puree, salt, chili powder, pepper, sugar, hot sauce, and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Whisk flour and water in a small bowl and stir into soup. Bring to a boil, then simmer 4 minutes.
- Add chicken and bring back to a simmer. Stir in cream, sour cream, shredded cheese, and black beans.
- To serve, garnish with fried tortilla strips and cilantro.
- “Soul” featured on the cover of Winter 2020 issue of “Disney twenty-three” - November 5, 2020
- CHRISTMAS AT GAYLORD PALMS RESORT: TICKET SALES NOW OPEN, FULL CHRISTMAS PROGRAM UNVEILED - November 5, 2020
- Do You Know….Disney Ghosts? - October 19, 2020