by Jeremy Schoolfield, Managing Editor, Walt Disney World Resort Public Relations
Innovation is essential to The Walt Disney Company story, dating back to its inception nearly a century ago. As Walt Disney once said, “We’ll always be introducing and testing and demonstrating new materials and new systems.” Well, that promise will come true once again next year when Walt Disney World Resort releases our next-generation wearable technology, MagicBand+.
The original MagicBand was introduced in 2013 at Walt Disney World, making the guest experience in our theme parks and resorts more convenient and hands-free for things like park and guest room entry, retail and dining, Disney PhotoPass and more. MagicBand+ will retain those popular features and add functionality that unlocks new moments of magic for you.
After you enter a theme park, MagicBand+ will come alive at various times with color-changing lights, haptic vibrations and gesture recognition. The wearable will allow you to engage with favorite Disney moments in new ways, including:
- Play like a bounty hunter in a galaxy far, far away and find virtual bounties throughout Black Spire Outpost in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disney’s Hollywood Studios.
- Interact with the “Disney Fab 50 Character Collection,” the golden sculptures spread throughout the Walt Disney World theme parks.
- Experience nighttime spectaculars in a new way as you see your band light up and complement the magic in the skies, including the new “Harmonious” at EPCOT and “Disney Enchantment” at Magic Kingdom Park.
MagicBand+ will be available for purchase beginning next year, including a discounted, pre-arrival price for Disney Resort hotel guests as well as new and renewing Walt Disney World Annual Passholders. Current MagicBands will continue to be available, too, along with the complimentary Disney MagicMobile service that extends MagicBand features, such as park entry, to smart devices.
MagicBand+ will help immerse you in Disney stories and connect with characters you love like never before. We’ll have more to share about this exciting new technology in the future, so keep following us here at the Disney Parks Blog for updates. And be sure to check out all our coverage of the Walt Disney World 50th anniversary, because “The World’s Most Magical Celebration” begins tomorrow!
- Michael Bublé and Luisana Lopilato Back At “Home” At Walt Disney World Resort - November 23, 2022
- Author Q&A: Leslie Iwerks Shares Inside Look at ‘The Imagineering Story’ - November 23, 2022
- Lunar New Year Celebration and Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival Return in 2023 to Disney California Adventure Park - November 22, 2022