If you have ever been to New Orleans or have at least stayed at Disney’s Port Orleans Resort, French Quarter, you have tasted the delicious puffy donut called the beignet. They are very common in New Orleans for breakfast and are served with powdered sugar on top. These treats are also extremely popular at Disneyland. They are so delicious and now, you can make your own! Please note that you can choose to add flavor to this recipe in the form of extracts, but it is not included in the recipe. A teaspoon should be enough to add a hint of any flavor you choose! You could also choose to wrap the dough around items like a chocolate bar or morsels before frying to get a filling inside! You may also choose to make yours in the shape of the mouse himself! However you choose to serve them, enjoy!
- 1/2 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105º)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Powdered sugar
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl, stirring to dissolve. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- Combine sugar, shortening, salt, heavy cream, egg, flour and boiling water in a large bowl; stir in yeast mixture. With the dough hook attachment of an electric mixer on medium speed, mix the dough just until combined and smooth. Let dough rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll to 1/4-inch thickness and cut individual beignets into 2 x 3-inch pieces. Cover with a towel and let the dough rise until doubled in size in a warm, draft-free area, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Pour enough oil into a deep-sided pot until it reaches 2 inches up sides; heat oil over medium heat to 350°F.
- Lightly press beignets to flatten slightly.
- Add a few beignets to oil; fry until golden brown on both sides, turning
- Remove from hot oil with a slotted spoon and place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Dust with a generous amount of confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Yields 2 dozen small beignets
- Disney Characters Delight Guests in New Ways asDisneyland Resort Theme Parks Reopen April 30, 2021 - April 9, 2021
- Attractions and Entertainment Reopening Details for Disneyland Resort Theme Parks - April 9, 2021
- Shanghai Disney Resort Reveals a ‘Magical Surprise’ in Honor of 5th Anniversary - April 9, 2021