Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge launches its newest, most immersive attraction Jan. 17, Disneyland Park debuts an extraordinary daytime parade Feb. 28, and Avengers Campus opens with a thrilling Spider-Man attraction in 2020
At Disney California Adventure Park, guests will team up with the Avengers, celebrate the Year of the Mouse at Lunar New Year, return for the Disney California Adventure Food and Wine Festival – and more
AHAHEIM, Calif. (Dec. 11, 2019) – Disneyland Resort is sure to be a top travel destination in 2020 as it unveils new attractions, a new land, a new parade and exciting guest experiences throughout the resort. Whether it’s living out Star Wars adventures aboard two attractions in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, teaming up with Super Heroes at the new Avengers Campus, celebrating magical moments in the all-new “Magic Happens” parade, or indulging in a Disney-themed treat, guests will discover more ways to have fun at the Happiest Place on Earth.
Throughout 2020, the Disneyland Resort will be the place for friends and families, little ones meeting Mickey Mouse for the first time, and experienced park-goers anticipating their next adventures. Anyone with a youthful imagination will enjoy new and classic attractions, magical entertainment, limited-time festivals, and themed food and merchandise. The year will kick off with the newest, and one of the most immersive attractions, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, launching in the new land of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Park on Jan.17. Also at Disneyland, the “Magic Happens” parade debuts on Feb. 28 with multiple floats including one inspired by the blockbuster film, “Frozen 2,” and a “Moana” sequence that includes Moana on her voyager canoe, followed by her pet pig, Pua, and legendary demigod, Maui, on his own magical island.
At Disney California Adventure Park, the highly anticipated Avengers Campus opens in summer 2020, inviting guests of all ages into a new land where they will sling webs on the first Disney ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man. The immersive land also presents multiple heroic encounters with Avengers like Iron Man, Black Widow and Black Panther. Avengers Campus will also feature Pym Test Kitchen, where guests will taste supersized and supershrunk foods from Pym Technologies. Festivals return to this park in 2020 with the Lunar New Year celebration and the Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival in the spring.
In addition to these new must-do experiences, guests will find plenty of Disney magic at the Hotels of the Disneyland Resort, along with shopping, dining and entertainment throughout the Downtown Disney District.
To make the most of a visit to the Disneyland Resort, guests have tools at their fingertips to save time and add value. Guests may choose to download the official Disneyland App to purchase tickets and find useful information, including attraction wait times, FastPass return times, maps, entertainment guides and other special features such as Disney MaxPass. With the purchase of Disney MaxPass, guests are able to reserve digital Disney FastPass selections from their mobile devices while in the parks, as well as download, share and save unlimited Disney PhotoPass photos from their day.*
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance launches Jan. 17 in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland Park
The newest attraction inside Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, launches at Disneyland on Jan. 17, 2020. The attraction opened Dec. 5, 2019, at Disney’s Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World Resort. Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is one of the most ambitious, advanced and immersive experiences ever undertaken by Walt Disney Imagineering. The innovative attraction takes guests aboard a full-size transport shuttle before they are captured by a Star Destroyer and find themselves in the middle of a climactic battle between the dark side of the First Order and the light side of the Resistance, including BB-8 and Rey. The harrowing adventure blurs the lines between fantasy and reality on a scale never seen before in a Disney attraction.
Guests will join the Resistance and depart from Batuu in a transport ship to meet General Leia Organa at a secret rendezvous point. However, on their way to the hidden base, guests are intercepted and detained by the First Order when their ship is drawn into the hangar bay of a Star Destroyer. The action then ramps up as guests seek to escape the clutches of the dark side with Kylo Ren and the First Order.
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance brings guests face to face with some fan favorite Star Wars characters, including Resistance heroes Rey, BB-8, Poe and Finn, as well as Kylo Ren and General Hux of the First Order.
Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge opened at Disneyland on May 31, 2019. The epic new land made history as the largest single-land expansion ever at the Disneyland Resort, and is also the largest and most technologically advanced single-themed land expansion ever in a Disney park. Guests are transported to a galaxy far, far away in Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, to Black Spire Outpost on the planet Batuu, the newest location in a story that began in 1977 with the first Star Wars film. Guests become part of the story as they sample galactic food and beverages, enter an intriguing collection of merchant shops and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard another attraction in the land, Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run.
New “Magic Happens” parade debuts at Disneyland Park, Feb. 28
The all-new “Magic Happens” parade will come to life for guests at Disneyland, beginning Feb. 28, 2020. “Magic Happens” will feature an energetic musical score and a new song, co-composed by singer-songwriter Todrick Hall. Celebrating awe-inspiring moments of magic that are at the heart of so many Disney stories, this new daytime parade will feature stunning floats, beautiful costumes, and beloved Disney characters from Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Frozen 2” and “Moana,” plus “Coco,” “Sleeping Beauty” and more, all led by Mickey Mouse and his pals.
Traveling down Main Street, U.S.A., “Magic Happens” will remind guests they don’t need wings to fly, that shooting stars were made to wish upon, and that magic doesn’t stop at midnight. Highlights of the parade include:
- From “Frozen 2,” Anna and Elsa explore the mysteries of an enchanted forest protected by Nokk, the mystical water spirit, as their friends Kristoff, Sven and Olaf tag along.
- On her voyager canoe, Moana journeys forth on the crest of a towering wave, inspired by beautiful koa wood carvings, and inset with dazzling, animated glimpses into the magic the ocean holds.
- Guiding Moana on her journey is Maui, who travels along on his own magical piece of the islands with Moana’s adorable pet pig, Pua.
- Miguel appears in person for the first time, celebrating the magic that happens when he strums the guitar of Ernesto de la Cruz in the Disney and Pixar film “Coco.” This spectacular float bridges the Land of the Living and the Land of the Dead with vibrant marigolds, and fantastical alebrije spirit animals join the procession, along with Miguel’s dog Danté.
- The regal grand finale of “Magic Happens” celebrates magical moments from several classic Disney stories, including the happily-ever-after scene from “Sleeping Beauty” with a trio of fairies and Princess Aurora’s gown shimmering between hues of pink and blue.
Highly-anticipated Avengers Campus opens at Disney California Adventure Park
In 2020, guests of all ages will team up with some favorite Super Heroes at the Avengers Campus at Disney California Adventure. The campus is set up by the Avengers to recruit the next generation of Super Heroes.
Avengers Campus will open with the first Disney ride-through attraction to feature Spider-Man. Guests will enter this attraction at the Worldwide Engineering Brigade – also known as WEB.
During an open house at WEB, aspiring inventors will invite guests along for a test drive of their latest invention: the Web-Slinger vehicle. This new adventure will allow guests to sling webs just like Spider-Man, as they help Spider-Man collect Spider-Bots that have run amok across the campus.
Avengers Campus will also feature Pym Test Kitchen. Here, Ant-Man and The Wasp are using their growing and shrinking technology, Pym Particles, to create big and little foods at this eatery.
Throughout the campus, guests will find themselves face-to-face with legendary Super Heroes, in heroic encounters with Ant-Man and The Wasp, Doctor Strange, the Guardians of the Galaxy, Black Panther and his elite guards, the Dora Milaje, Thor and Iron Man.
Additionally, guests will get caught up in the middle of incredible action around the Avengers Headquarters, as Super Heroes such as Black Widow and Black Panther battle intruders and save the day.
The iconic Avengers Headquarters building will become the entrance to a new attraction at a later date.
Lunar New Year celebrates the Year of the Mouse at Disney California Adventure Park
Disneyland Resort will welcome a year of good fortune with 24 days of Lunar New Year celebrations at Disney California Adventure from Jan. 17 – Feb. 9, 2020. Celebrating the Year of the Mouse, the limited-time festival allows guests of all ages to enjoy many exciting offerings, including the bright and bold Mulan’s Lunar New Year Procession, the return of the heartwarming “Hurry Home – Lunar New Year Celebration” prior to “World of Color,” a Lucky Wishing Wall, delectable foods inspired by Chinese, Korean and Vietnamese cultures, and more.
Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival features California-inspired bites and beverages
The lively and fun Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival returns to Disneyland Resort from Feb. 28 through April 21, 2020. This limited-time culinary festival brings many offerings for guests of all ages to enjoy with a uniquely Disney twist, from tasty dishes at more than a dozen mouthwatering Festival Marketplaces, to cooking demonstrations and seminars with Disney chefs and celebrity chefs, live music, and even hands-on entertainment for kids in the Junior Chef experience with Chef Goofy. Guests looking to try a variety of dishes at the festival will enjoy using the Sip and Savor Pass,** available for all guests to purchase.
At a glance: Even more new and limited-time magic in 2020
- Disneyland After Dark special after-hours ticketed events (80s Nite on Jan. 29 and Sweethearts’ Nite on Feb. 12-13)
Disney California Adventure Park
- Disneyland After Dark special after-hours ticketed events (Pixar Nite on March 5 and Villains Nite on April 30)
- Anna and Elsa in their beautiful new dresses seen in Walt Disney Animation Studios’ “Frozen 2” at Anna and Elsa’s Royal Welcome
- Oogie Boogie Bash – A Disney Halloween Party, a separate-ticket event on some nights during Halloween Time (Sept. – Oct. 2020)
Hotels of the Disneyland Resort
- Tenaya Stone Spa at Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa (spring 2020)
Downtown Disney District
- Asian Street Eats take-out window by Chef Hung Huynh (opening soon)
- The new look of Jamba (formerly Jamba Juice, early 2020)
- Halloween Time at the Disneyland Resort (Sept. 2020)
- Holiday entertainment, festivities, food and décor (Nov. 2020)
- Indiana Jones Adventure, 25th anniversary (March 3)
- Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters, 15th anniversary (March 17)
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, 1st anniversary (May 31)
- “World of Color,” 10th anniversary (June 11)
- Silly Symphony Swings, 10th anniversary (June 11)
- Turtle Talk with Crush, 15th anniversary (July 15)
- Disneyland Park, 65th anniversary (July 17)
- Disneyland opening day attractions 65th anniversaries include:
- Jungle Cruise
- Disneyland Railroad (originally opened as Santa Fe and Disneyland Railroad)
- Mark Twain Riverboat (originally opened as Mark Twain Steamboat)
- The Golden Horseshoe (originally opened as Golden Horseshoe Revue)
- King Arthur Carrousel
- Mad Tea Party
- Toad’s Wild Ride
- Peter Pan’s Flight (originally opened as Peter Pan Flight)
- Snow White’s Scary Adventures (originally opened as Snow White’s Adventures)
- The Disneyland Story presenting Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, 55th anniversary (July 18)
- Casey Jr. Circus Train, 65th anniversary (July 31)
- Dumbo the Flying Elephant, 65th anniversary (Aug. 16)
- Disneyland Hotel, 65th anniversary (Oct. 5)
*Disney MaxPass is nonrefundable, nontransferable and may not be redeemed for cash. Guests are strongly advised to check the day’s FASTPASS availability and other park details before purchasing Disney MaxPass or using a park ticket with Disney MaxPass. FASTPASS selections for preferred attractions or entertainment may not be available at the time of Disney MaxPass purchase or use as FASTPASS selections are limited and availability is not guaranteed. FASTPASS selections may be made only while you are in the parks. Not all attraction, entertainment or experience FASTPASS selections may be available through Disney MaxPass, and the FASTPASS selections available through Disney MaxPass are subject to change without notice. Disney PhotoPass service is subject to the Disney PhotoPass terms and expiration policy found at https://disneyland.disney.go.com/photopass-terms-conditions/. Online registration required. Disney PhotoPass photos captured during the day your Disney MaxPass feature is used must be linked to your Disney account. Not responsible for missing, lost or damaged photos. Downloads are restricted to personal use by Disney account holder only and may not be used for a commercial purpose. The Disney MaxPass feature will expire at the end of the day of use. Price, terms and entitlements are subject to change or cancellation without notice. Other restrictions may apply. Message, data and roaming rates may apply for the Disneyland app. Availability subject to handset limitations and features may vary by handset or service provider. Coverage and app stores not available everywhere. If you’re under 18, get your parents’ permission first.
**Sip and Savor Pass entitlements may only be redeemed during regular Disney California Adventure Food & Wine Festival operating hours, and the Pass expires on April 21, 2020. A Pass has eight (8) coupons and each coupon may be redeemed for one (1) food or non-alcoholic beverage item at a participating Festival location. Excludes novelties including souvenir tumblers. No discounts apply. Nonrefundable, nontransferable, may not be redeemed for cash (in whole or in part), no substitutions and no change given. Subject to restrictions and change without notice. Separate Theme Park admission required.
About the Disneyland Resort
The Disneyland Resort features two spectacular theme parks – Disneyland (the original Disney theme park) and Disney California Adventure Park – plus three hotels and the Downtown Disney District, comprising unique dining, entertainment and shopping experiences. The Resort’s hotels are the luxurious, 948-room Disney’s Grand Californian Hotel & Spa, which also features 50 two-bedroom equivalent Disney Vacation Club units; the magical, 973-room Disneyland Hotel – both AAA Four Diamond properties – and the 481-room Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel with its “day-at-the-beach” theme. For information on attractions and vacations at the Disneyland Resort, visit Disneyland.com, call (866) 43-DISNEY or contact local travel agents. Located in Anaheim, Calif., the Disneyland Resort opened July 17, 1955. Open daily, year-round.
- shopDisney.com & Disney Store Reveal the 2020 Top 15 Holiday Toys List - October 21, 2020
- #DisneyMagicMoments: Cadaver Dans Materialize for Special LIVE Walt Disney World ResortPerformance of Happily Haunting Halloween-Inspired Melodies - October 21, 2020
- Grab Your Paintbrush! Taste of EPCOT International Festival of the Arts Begins Jan. 8, 2021 - October 21, 2020