I must start this post out with the spoiler alert that I am no hair or make-up expert. That being said, I may be the most qualified person to give hair and makeup tips because I go for the easiest and most fool-proof looks possible. The icing on the cake for your Dapper Day look is hair and make-up (sorry, guys!). I’ve listed a few easy to follow tips to help you find the perfect look that complements your outfit and doesn’t bother you throughout your vintage-inspired day at the park.
1. Keep it Simple – Even in November for the fall Dapper Days (November 18-19), the weather at Disney World will be somewhere between warm and hot. 1Remember that no matter how you do your hair and make-up, it will need to stand up to the Florida heat and humidity. So unless you’ve been blessed with the ability to manipulate your hair and keep it perfect regardless of the weather, a simple ponytail with curls will do just fine. I highly suggest easy updos to avoid a hair meltdown.
2. Curlers are NOT Fun or Don’t Try Something New the Day Of – I’m only 23 so I wasn’t raised on setting my hair in curlers at night and waking up with nice curls. My generation for whatever reason was obsessed with straighteners, but I digress. When I tried this method during the second day of the 2017 Spring Dapper Day weekend, my hair was a disaster when I woke up and I had to totally start the process over, this time with a curling iron. In short, test your desired hairstyle and makeup look before Dapper Day to save on stressRed Lipstick is Your Best Friend – Literally, nearly every Dapper Day look is completed with some red lipstick. If you do nothing else with your make-up,
3. Red Lipstick is Your Best Friend – Literally, nearly every Dapper Day look is completed with some red lipstick. If you do nothing else with your make-up, red lipstick will do the job. Carry some with you during the day to touch it up. Actually, carry all your makeup with you during the day for touching up. Trust me, this has saved me from major eyeliner problems in the past.Pinterest is Also Your Best Friend – For tips and tricks and style inspiration, take a look at Pinterest. Search your desired decade and you can find thousands of tips and videos for cheating your way to winged eyeliner or victory curls.
4. Pinterest is Also Your Best Friend – For tips and tricks and style inspiration, take a look at Pinterest. Search your desired decade and you can find thousands of tips and videos for cheating your way to winged eyeliner or victory curls.
5. Don’t Be a Mad Hatter – If you choose to wear a hat, just remember to plan your hairstyle accordingly.
6. A Little Pomade Goes a Long Way – I bought pomade from my local Sally Beauty Supply for my aforementioned curling attempt. While my problem was with the curlers and not the pomade, I learned how to use it to manipulate my hair. It is worth investing in, for women and MEN. It is helpful for taming frizzy hair like mine and for styling.
7. Disneybounding? Use Your Character as Inspiration – This is pretty self-explanatory, but if you are Disneybounding, don’t stress out about trying to find a new hairstyle. Use your character as your guide. Same with your make-up.
8. Don’t Compare Yourself to the Pros – I’ll be honest with you, there are some people, men and women, at Dapper Day who look SO good and SO authentic, I get jealous. I know I’m not great at makeup and I prefer to keep my hair simple to avoid it frizzing out of control, unintentionally causing me to Disneybound as Simba’s mane, but sometimes I look at those people and wish I could get my 40s waves to look like theirs. At the end of the day, who cares. You’re there to have fun. No matter how you style your look, you’re going to look dapper and fantastic.
9. Extra! Extra! Read All A-Bobby It! – I hope that terrible pun doesn’t cost TMSM readers. Anyway, bring extra hair ties, bobby pins, barrettes, and hairspray with you if you can. Especially bobby pins to pin back any rebellious pieces of hair.
If these tips seem very simple, it’s because they are. There are PLENTY of quick and easy hair and makeup looks to be the cherry on top of your dapper look. You don’t have to go over the top. No matter the level of your hair or make-up skills, have fun and go for whatever look you want.