From the Disney Parks Blog and written by: Pam Brandon
Yes, grown-ups love the sophisticated food and beverages in the Global Marketplaces at Epcot that encircle World Showcase Lagoon and stretch into Future World – 35 in all – but there’s plenty for younger palates too at the Epcot International Food & Wine Festival.
We took a stroll with two little ones, one with a pickier palate, the other a bit more adventurous. Here’s what we found they loved best (excluding sweets, which get their own short list at the end of this blog post).
1. The No. 1 favorite was the Zesty Cheeseburger and Cheddar Cheese Macaroni Handwich at the Epcot Legacy Showplace, an ode to the Disney handwich of the late 1980s.
2. Kalua Pork Slider with Sweet and Sour Dole Pineapple Chutney and Spicy Mayonnaise at Hawai’i Marketplace. (Picky eater asked for no spicy mayo.)
3. Crispy Chicken with Griddled Cornbread and Red Eye Gravy at Farm Fresh Marketplace. (Picky eater avoided the gravy.)
4. Ricotta and Zucchini Ravioli at Earth Eats Marketplace. Pasta always wins.
5. Marinated Chicken with Peanut Sauce and Stir-Fried Vegetables at Thailand Marketplace. The sweet sauce made this one a winner.
6. Chicken Pot Stickers at China Marketplace. Familiar tastes.
7. Mango Lassi at India Marketplace (the only drink on our list).
8. Schinkennudeln at Germany Marketplace, Pasta Gratin with Ham and Cheese. Comfort food at its finest.
9. Canadian Cheddar Cheese Soup – a perennial favorite for all ages at the Canada Marketplace.
10. Le Cellier Wild Mushroom Beef Filet Mignon with Truffle-Butter Sauce at the Canada Marketplace (they both skipped the mushrooms but loved the buttery filet).
11. Sweet Pancake with Spicy-Chipotle Chicken Sausage, Onion Jam and Maple Butter Syrup at Flavors from Fire (a big hit with the adventurous eater).
Sweets deserve their own category, so here are the Top 5:
1. L’Orange Cotton Candy at the Epcot Legacy Showplace.
2. Peanut Butter and White Chocolate Mousse with a Caramel Drizzle at Earth Eats.
3. Quesito Puff Pastry with Sweetened Cream Cheese and Guava Sauce at Islands of the Caribbean.
4. Bougatsa at the Greece Marketplace, a Warm Phyllo Dough Strudel with Sweet Vanilla Custard, Lemon-Honey Syrup and Cinnamon.
5. Belgian waffle with Berry Compote and Whipped Cream at the Belgium Marketplace.