From the Disney Parks Blog and written by: Charles Stovall
With Disney Night of Joy starting in 1983, we’ve seen almost every major Contemporary Christian music artist play at Walt Disney World Resort throughout the years.
I know I use the word “honored” a lot in these posts, but we are truly honored to have seen a list of the best and brightest of Christian music on our rosters.
Two acts have emerged as having the most performances at our event throughout the years.
Legendary CCM artist Steven Curtis Chapman held the record for a good bit – with 10 performances from 1990 to 2013. Celebrating more than four decades of success in the music industry, Steven shows no signs of slowing down. In 2017, he released his 23rd career studio album Worship and Believe and he also launched a new autobiography – Between Heaven & The Real World.
Then, “upstarts” MercyMe ran past Chapman in 2016 with their 11th performance. Purveyors of arguably the most popular CCM song of all time – “I Can Only Imagine” – MercyMe have been a fixture on the Night of Joy scene – playing every year except one since 2005. The band recently released their ninth studio record “Lifer,” which was just nominated for a GMA Dove Award.
Both are performing this year, and we caught up with the guys at the KLOVE Music Fan Awards in Nashville earlier this year – sensing a little “behind-the-scenes” rivalry?
[NOTE: In all honesty, we asked them point blank – but that still counts, right?]
On September 8 and 9, ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex at Walt Disney World Resort will host Disney Night of Joy, two glorious evenings filled with gospel, hip-hop, pop, rock, praise and adult contemporary music from the industry’s top artists. Attendees can kick back, relax and enjoy an unforgettable experience sure to make spirits soar!
Tickets are now on sale for Disney Night of Joy 2017. Guest can check out nightofjoy.com or 407-W-DISNEY for tickets and information. Groups of 10 or more can click here or call 877-NITE-JOY to purchase group tickets and learn about group discounts and benefits.
A little reminder about this year’s talent: (Entertainment subject to change.)
- Friday, Sept. 8 – MercyMe, TobyMac, Natalie Grant, Zach Williams, Danny Gokey, Matt Maher, Colton Dixon, Rend Collective
- Saturday, Sept. 9 – Amy Grant, Steven Curtis Chapman, Kirk Franklin, Jordan Feliz, Crowder, Jeremy Camp, Tye Tribbett.
- New Year, New Tips for Downtown Disney District at Disneyland Resort: Come Now for Fun Finds; Come Again Soon for Star Wars Trading Post in a New Location - January 17, 2021
- ‘WandaVision’ Snack & View: A Flavorful Look Back Through the Decades at Disneyland Park - January 16, 2021
- #DisneyMagicMoments: A New Year Brings More Disney Magic to Three Central Florida Children’s Hospitals - January 15, 2021