Being today is the anniversary of one of Disneyland’s most beloved attractions, The Haunted Mansion, I wanted to share the story put out last year by Tyler Slater. Here Tyler talks about the story of how the Haunted Mansion came to materialize. Enjoy!!!
Haunted Mansion at Disneyland park is one of the most treasured theme park attractions at Disney Parksaround the world. It’s almost hard to believe, but this week those 999 happy haunts celebrate 46 years of welcoming foolish mortals to their beloved estate in New Orleans Square. To mark the anniversary of these grim, grinning ghosts, I’ll be your host as “The Magic of Disney Parks Storytelling” series shares the story of how Walt Disney’s masterpiece materialized.
As my fellow Disney Parks Blog author, George Savvas, explained in his excellent post this morning, the Haunted Mansion was years in development. Then, when Walt Disney passed away in December 1966, the team was at a loss for inspiration. Without their captain, conflict arose in the development team. One camp believed that the attraction should be atmospheric and scary, and the other felt that the experience should be fun and lighthearted.
A compromise was reached by the show’s writer, Disney Legend X Atencio. He structured the attraction into three acts:
- Act 1 focuses on the creepy environments, without actually showing any ghosts. When guests are asked “Is this haunted room actually stretching?” they are given a hint at the frights that wait for them around each corner.
- Act 2 begins as Madame Leota summons up the ghostly spirits, who would soon be visible. “Rap on a table,” she says, “it’s time to respond.” And soon, they do.
- The tour of the Haunted Mansion culminates in Act 3, where the happy haunts gather in the graveyard for a swinging wake and “grim, grinning ghosts come out to socialize!”
With this storytelling design, the entire team of Imagineers felt their visions were fulfilled. Within one week of the attraction opening, Disneyland park celebrated what was then the highest single day of attendance. Even after 45 years, the Haunted Mansion continues to blend horror with humor – filled with exquisitely detailed environments and memorable characters.
- Walt Disney Imagineering Reveals Exciting Enhancements Coming to the Jungle Cruise - January 25, 2021
- How a Disney Legend Added ‘Magic’ to Marvel Studios’ ‘WandaVision’ - January 22, 2021
- Meet the Characters of WandaVision! Who We Know So Far! - January 21, 2021