4 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil
12 1-inch thick bread slices (a 1 pound loaf)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 2 tbsp sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, stir together remaining 3/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp cinnamon.
- Transfer mixture to a plate and set aside.
- In a 12-inch skillet, heat 1 tbsp. oil over medium heat.
- Three slices at a time, dip the bread into the egg mixture, and fry until golden brown on both sides.
- Immediately dredge the hot cooked French toasts in the cinnamon sugar mixture and shake off excess.
- Repeat with remaining slices and oil.
- Serve hot with warm syrup.