On this date in 1998, the passengers for the Disney Magic’s maiden voyage, became the first Disney guests to step foot on Disney’s private island Castaway Cay. Located just 225 nautical miles from Disney’s home port of Port Canaveral, Florida, the island stretches 3.1 miles long and is 2.2 miles wide. Originally called Gorda Cay, the island was used for filming the Touchstone feature film Splash that came out in 1984. Gorda Cay was where Tom Hanks first encountered Daryl Hannah on the beach.
Reserved exclusively for Guests on Disney Cruise Line Bahamian and Caribbean cruise vacations, Castaway Cay is Disney’s private port-of-call paradise. On this island, enjoy tropical leisure activities, such as snorkeling, boating, swimming and sunbathing.
In addition to the clear turquoise waters, white sand beaches and swaying palm trees, the island offers many amenities including:
- 20 premium 325-square-foot private, furnished cabanas in 2 locations: Castaway Family Beach (for families) and Serenity Bay Beach (for adults)
- An extension of more than 700 feet to the all-ages Castaway Family Beach
- 2 Water Play Areas: Pelican Plunge and Spring-a-Leak
- 3 additional private, ocean-view massage cabanas at the adults-only Serenity Bay Beach
- The Hide Out, a teens-only activity area on the beach
Castaway Cay visitors find an island completely outfitted for premium family leisure. Ample amenities include open-air BBQ dining locations, 2 shops featuring Castaway Cay gifts and souvenirs, and convenient tram transportation around the island. Also enjoy:
- Swimming, kayaking, water sports and more at the various teens-only, adults-only and all-ages areas
- Open-air massages with an ocean view, a yoga class and a bar at the secluded, adults-only beach, Serenity Bay
- Port Adventures for everyone in the family, including stingray interactions, glass-bottom boat tours, parasailing and fishing
- Free childcare at Scuttle’s Cove, an expansive child’s area supervised by Disney counselors
- Disney Character Greetings, including a Dance Party with Lilo and Stitch
Were you by any chance one of the first to step foot on the island in 1998? What did you think of it then? Tell us about your experiences on Castaway Cay in the comments below and on Facebook.