Our friends from Disney Interactive asked us to share this information with our readers.
Disney Club Penguin, the #1 virtual world for kids, today launches the global ‘It Starts with You!’ safety campaign to give kids and families the information and resources they need to navigate more safely online. The ‘It Starts with You!’ campaign, developed primarily for tweens and parents of tweens, is Club Penguin’s most ambitious and expansive online safety campaign ever. It will span across multiple platforms including placements on Disney Channel and Disney’s online destinations, integrations in the virtual world of Club Penguin, as well as real-world, direct-to-kid components by working with leading online safety and educational organizations.
The ‘It Starts with You!’ online safety campaign will include:
- · A branded campaign on Disney Channel and Disney’s online networks featuring a safety PSA starring G Hannelius from Disney Channel’s “Dog With A Blog,” the hit comedy series for kids and families.
- · An online safety resource center (http://clubpenguin.com/safety) to help kids and parents learn the latest in online safety and empower them to be good digital citizens. The resource center will offer:
- o Multilingual safety tips for kids about how to protect their information online and be respectful to others
- o Multilingual online safety information and news for parents
- o Printable activity sheets to help kids be thoughtful digital citizens
- o Online safety PSA starring G Hannelius
- · Printable safety pledge for families to take together that encourages communication about online usage and rules.
- · Within the world of Club Penguin, an in-game quiz to test players’ knowledge about online safety. Players that successfully complete the quiz will earn an exclusive virtual item for their penguin avatar.
“The question is no longer whether kids should be online, but how to prepare them for a social online world,’ said Chris Heatherly, VP of Club Penguin. ‘It Starts with You!’ is about empowering kids and their parents with the information they need to play an active and educated role in online safety.”
The campaign will focus on teaching kids how to:
- · Be cool: and respectful to others online and not post anything that could be hurtful to someone else.
- · Be heard: if they see anything online that worries them, to speak up and tell a parent or trusted adult.
- · Be safe: and protect their personal information online and not share private personal details.
Club Penguin is also supporting leading non-profit and safety organizations to spread the message behind ‘It Starts with You!’ to local schools and communities through new outreach programs. Upcoming ‘It Starts with You!’ programs include:
- · Safety Tour: Together with Free The Children, Club Penguin will launch the ‘It Starts with You!’ Speaking Tour. Schools across the U.S. will now have free access to a one-of-a-kind youth leadership program that will provide kids with the tools and resources they need to become leaders in bullying prevention.
- · More Online Safety Resources: Club Penguin is working with leading child safety organization, the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children through its NetSmartz Workshop to develop an unprecedented online program that will give thousands of educators, parents and youth leaders the tools they need to teach online safety.
- · In-School Activities: Through Scholastic, ‘It Starts with You!’ posters and activity plans will be distributed to more than 90,000 teachers accompanied by a strong digital outreach program that is expected to reach at least 3 million parents and families with the goal of teaching kids how to become responsible, respectful and safe digital citizens.
Disney Club Penguin is a leader in online safety and has invested millions of dollars to build one of the most advanced chat and filtering technologies available for kids online today. Club Penguin’s unprecedented technology is complemented by 200 human moderators who monitor in-world activity to help keep kids safe. More information about Club Penguin’s safety efforts can be found at http://clubpenguin.com/safety.
About Club Penguin
Club Penguin (http://www.clubpenguin.com), is the #1 virtual world for children. Club Penguin strives to design a fun and safe online entertainment experience by using filtering technology and live moderators. The award-winning virtual world of Club Penguin is free to use and enjoy, however a subscription membership provides access to additional features that enhance the play experience. Club Penguin, headquartered in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada, is enjoyed by children around the world, and can be played in English, German, Portuguese, French, Spanish and Russian.
- SeaWorld Orlando Announces the Arrival of The Ultimate Antarctic Adventure: “Penguin Trek” – The New Immersive Family Coaster Coming Spring 2024 - September 28, 2023
- RAVENSBURGER ANNOUNCES NEW SET FOR DISNEY LORCANA TCG - September 12, 2023
- The Walt Disney Studios Wows Disney’s Biggest Fans at Destination D23 at Walt Disney World Resort - September 10, 2023