If you are a Marvel movie fan, and have been seeing each film as they are released, you may have noticed there is an older man that seems to appear in each film. Sometimes for just a split second and without any dialogue. Some people may wonder, who is that guy?. Others know who he is and some even think he’s the biggest star in the film. The man I’m speaking about is none other than the one, the only, Stan Lee.
Now I’m sure there are some out there that have no idea who Stan Lee is. Well let me say this, Stan Lee is an American comic book writer, editor, publisher, media producer, television host, actor, voice actor and former president and chairman of Marvel Comics. Stan is responsible for almost every Marvel Super Hero, villain and character. When I say responsible, I don’t mean he was the boss at the time and approved the characters. What I mean is he actually created the characters. Either by himself or with Jack Kirby, Stan has created literally thousands of comic characters over his years in the business. Some include the Fantastic Four, the Hulk, X-Men, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man just to name a few. He started working at Timely Comics (eventually Marvel) in 1939 at the age of 16. By 19, he would become the editor and stay that for most of his career with the company. Stan Lee, now 90 years old, holds the position of Chairman Emeritus of Marvel Comics.
There are currently 8 movies that make up the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Stan Lee has been in each of those films.
- In 2008’s Iron Man, Tony Stark mistakes Lee for Hugh Hefner.
- The Incredible Hulk in 2008, Lee appears in a flashback scene drinking a soda that is contaminated with Bruce Banner’s blood.
- Iron Man 2 in 2010 shows Lee sporting some suspenders, and he is introduced to Tony Stark as Larry King
- In 2011’s Thor, Stan is the driver of the pick up truck that is trying to move Thor’s Hammer Mjölnir
- Captain America: The First Avenger in 2011 shows Lee playing a general saying he thought that the Captain would be taller.
- The Avengers in 2012 shows a newscast where Lee is playing chess and comments about Superhero’s in New York
- 2013’s Iron Man 3 shows Lee as a beauty pageant judge
- Thor: The Dark World most recently released, shows Lee in a mental ward asking Dr. Erik Selvig for his shoe back.
*** Thor: The Dark World pic is not the cameo shot, I wasn’t able to find that pic
In addition to the 8 films in the “Universe”, Lee has also been in the films X-Men (2000), Spider-Man (2002), Daredevil (2003), Hulk (2003), Spider-Man 2(2004), Fantastic Four(2005), X-Men: The Last Stand(2006), Spider-Man 3(2007), Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer(2007), and The Amazing Spider-Man(2012). He’s done television with the tv movie “The Trial of the Incredible Hulk” Also, in 1982-1983 Stan was the narrator for “The Incredible Hulk” television show. Over the years he’s also appeared in many other shows and movies. In addition to the big screen and small screen, Stan has done numerous video game and cartoon voices, he even did a voice in the “Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel” episode.
For me, looking for Stan in a Marvel movie has become as fun as finding what character John Ratzenberger is playing in a Pixar film. Stan is going to be 91 years young next month. He doesn’t want to stop working and to him the word retire is a bad word. He would consider it punishment if he had to retire! In the documentary that came out about his life and career, “With Great Power: The Stan Lee Story” he talks about all his accomplishments and all he still wants to continue to do and he said “I wish there was more time”. It has taken him a lifetime to become the icon in the industry that he is.
I look at Stan Lee as one of the great people in our history. There are very few celebrities that I will actually call a hero of mine, Stan is one of them. He has inspires and entertains millions and he will continue to do so. You can follow Stan on Twitter at @TheRealStanLee . As a side note, Stan is trying to reach 1 million twitter followers before the end of the year, let’s see if the fans of The Main Street Mouse can help Stan achieve his goal.
Thank you for everything Stan…..Excelsior!
- “Soul” featured on the cover of Winter 2020 issue of “Disney twenty-three” - November 5, 2020
- CHRISTMAS AT GAYLORD PALMS RESORT: TICKET SALES NOW OPEN, FULL CHRISTMAS PROGRAM UNVEILED - November 5, 2020
- Do You Know….Disney Ghosts? - October 19, 2020