AMC Introduces Seat-Based Ticket Pricing and Fans Are Not Happy
Popular movie house chain AMC revealed it is going to be changing the pricing of their ticketing based on the location of seats in theaters and fans are not happy.
According to a new report by Variety, it seems the company is beginning a Sightline program, which is said to bring in more viewers. Under this program, lesser desired seats, such as those in the front row, will be discounted while seats with better views will be more expensive.
It’s worth noting that some of the most popular seating options are said to maintain their same cost. However, the Sightline program is starting this Friday at theaters in New York City, Chicago, and Kansas City and is set to roll out nationwide by the end of the year.
“Sightline at AMC more closely aligns AMC’s seat pricing approach to that of many other entertainment venues, offering experienced-based pricing and another way for moviegoers to find value at the movies,” Eliot Hamlisch, executive VP and CMO at AMC Theatres shared of the new pricing plan. “While every seat at AMC delivers an amazing moviegoing experience, we know there are some moviegoers who prioritize their specific seat and others who prioritize value moviegoing. Sightline at AMC accommodates both sentiments to help ensure that our guests have more control over their experience, so that every trip to an AMC is a great one.”
The three tiers of pricing will be as follows:
- Value Sightline will be “seats in the front row of the auditorium, as well as select ADA seats in each auditorium, and are available at a lower price than standard sightline seats.” (Value Sightline pricing is only available to AMC Stubs members, including the free tier membership.)
- Standard Sightline are the “seats that are the most common in auditoriums and are available for the traditional cost of a ticket.”
- Preferred Sightline seats are “seats in the middle of the auditorium and are priced at a premium to standard sightline seats.” AMC Stubs A-List members will be able to secure Preferred Sightline seats at no extra cost.
Audiences will be shown the increased pricing for “better seats” at the time of purchase. This increased pricing will apply to showtimes after 4 p.m. at participating locations and will not b offered on Tuesdays, when the chain offers $5 tickets all day.
IGN recently put out a post discussing AMC’s new move of this seat based pricing on Twitter, where fans discussed their feelings on the move by the movie house. Here are some of their thoughts:
What are your thoughts on AMC introducing this new seat based pricing model at their theaters? Let us know in the comments
- Dress Up Your Dog in Mickey Style with this Adorable Harry Barker Sweater - March 24, 2023
- Disney Parks Guests Completes Global Ride Challenge, Visiting 12 Parks in 12 Days, Riding 216 Attractions - March 23, 2023
- Celebrate Easter in Mini Mouse Style With This Adorable Disney X Loungefly Backpack - March 22, 2023