by Katie Wilson, and posted on the Disney Parks Blog
It’s finally fall in Florida!! While it may be a little different than it is in other parts of the country, fall in Florida is fun – especially at Walt Disney World Resort!
On these slightly cooler days, I love walking around the World Showcase with the taste testers in my family and we all have our must-have treats at EPCOT. One of those treats for us is the Jumbo Pretzel from Sommerfest, but I often find myself debating between sweet and savory treats at the parks.
When I saw the Pretzel Bread Pudding on the menu at this favorite spot, I was thrilled and knew I needed to test it! Thankfully, the culinary team was willing to share the recipe with us.
The Pretzel Bread Pudding features pieces of jumbo pretzels and is topped with house-made vanilla sauce and caramel. It’s the perfect dessert for anyone who loves the sweet and savory combination.
This dish was so fun to test. I love desserts that taste like they’re time-consuming but are actually easy to make, and this is one of those desserts. EPCOT uses the delicious Jumbo Pretzels they sell in the park to make this dessert, but I recreated this using pretzel bread that is easily found in grocery stores. I made the vanilla sauce and mixed up the Pretzel Bread Pudding in the morning, then baked it for dessert. The taste testers all loved it warm, straight out of the oven. It also reheats well for breakfast the next morning (if you have any leftovers).
Now that I’ve talked about this amazing recipe, it’s time to share it with you. Be sure to plan ahead on this one because it needs to rest in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours so that the pretzel bread can fully absorb the liquid.
If you make this delicious dessert at home or have a chance to enjoy it at EPCOT, be sure to share and include #DisneyEats!
PRETZEL BREAD PUDDING
Sommerfest – EPCOT
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
PRETZEL BREAD PUDDING
- 1 pound pretzel bread
- 1 cup milk
- 1 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 3/4 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
FOR VANILLA SAUCE:
- Beat egg and sugar in small bowl. Set aside.
- Bring cream and 3/4 cup of milk to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium heat. Slowly add 1/3 of the simmering cream mixture to the eggs, whisking constantly to temper eggs. Carefully pour back into saucepan.
- Whisk cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup of milk together in a small bowl. Add to saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
- Place a mesh strainer over a bowl. Pour sauce through strainer and cool to room temperature.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 7 days.
FOR PRETZEL BREAD PUDDING:
- Tear or chop pretzel bread into large pieces. Place in a food processor and pulse until coarse crumbs form.
- Whisk milk, heavy cream, sugar, eggs, vanilla paste, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Add pretzel bread pieces. Cover and refrigerate 4-12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray 15 1/2 cup ramekins or muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Add 1/3 cup pretzel bread pudding mix into each ramekin or muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until centers of pretzel bread puddings are firm.
- Cool for 5 minutes before removing from molds.
Remove vanilla sauce from refrigerator. Heat in small saucepan over medium-low heat until warm. Place warm pretzel bread puddings on small plates. Top each with 2-3 tablespoons vanilla sauce. Drizzle caramel on top.
Note: Always use caution when handling sharp objects and hot contents. Please supervise children who are helping or nearby. This recipe has been converted from a larger quantity in the restaurant kitchens. The flavor profile may vary from the restaurant’s version.
Make sure you download the recipe for this must-try treat here so you can make it for your very own taste testers!
- New Disney100 The Eras Collection Launches Today on shopDisney, at Disney Parks - January 27, 2023
- Perfect Disney Gifts this Valentine’s Day - January 25, 2023
- New Mobile Order Locations at Disney Springs Added to My Disney Experience App - January 25, 2023