We get a lot of questions about Walt Disney World’s Shades of Green Resort (SoG), and since last week we shared information on the 2017 Armed Forces Salute Program, tonight I wanted to take a few moments to re-share share those questions, and their answers in hopes of helping military travelers.
What is Shades of Green?
Shades of Green is a Armed Forces Recreation Center (AFRC) operated by the U.S. Army in support of all branches of the U.S. military and is a part of MWR. SoG is a tax-free facility. SoG was originally “Disney’s Golf Resort”, which was renamed “The Disney Inn” in 1986 to help increase visitor numbers. In 1994 the military leased the hotel and in 1996 purchased it in full renaming it “Shades of Green”. Disney owns the land under the hotel still. SoG is located across from the Polynesian. SoG requires guests present DOD ID at the property’s entrance gate. Guests can only reserve three rooms at a time, and room rate is based on “military rank or civilian grade at the time of check-in. If you are a retired military member, your rate will be based on the rank achieved at the time of your retirement.”
Who qualifies to stay at Shades of Green?
SoG has a rather long list of exactly who is eligible to stay at their hotel on their website that also lists the ID required to enter the property and as well as be presented at check in, but the short version is this:
- Armed Forces and their Families
Members on Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard, Army, Navy, Air Force, Coast Guard and Cadets of Armed Forces Academies.
ID is Common Access Card
- Other Uniformed Services
Public Health Service, and National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Commissioned Corps.
ID is DD Form 2, PHS 1866-1 or 1866-3
- Armed Forces Retirees and their Family Members
Retired from active duty, Reserves, and National Guard with or without pay
ID is DD Form 2, 1173 or 1173-1
- Others Separated from the Armed Forces and their Family Members
Honorably discharged veterans with 100 percent Service-connected disability. Involuntarily separated service members under the Transition Assistance Management Program ID is DD Form 2 Personnel separated under the Voluntary Separation Incentive (VSI) and Special Separation Benefit (SSB) programs for two years after separation ID is DD Form 2
- Former and/or Surviving Spouses and Family Members
Unremarried surviving spouses of personnel who died while on active duty or while in retired status ID is DD Form 1173 or 1173-1
Un-remarried former spouses who were married to military members for at least 20 years while the military member was on active duty ID is DD Form 1173
- Other Supporters of the Department of Defense
Military personnel of foreign nations and their family members when assigned or attached to a U.S. military unit or installation or on U.S. Travel Orders.
U.S. employees of firms under contract to Department of Defense working in the Pacific Region outside the U.S. on Department of Defense Government orders.
Other personnel on official business with Department of Defense as may be specifically authorized by the General Manager or his designee.
ID is DD Form 1173 or 2765
- U.S. Department of Defense Civilians and Family Members
Current and retired (APF and NAF) Department of Defense (DoD) and Coast Guard (CG) civilian employees. DOD or CG ID card, Retired ID card, or current Leave and Earnings Statement with photo ID required for check-in.
- Survivor Family Package Eligibility
The Survivors’ Family Program extends to eligible Family members who have suffered a loss of an Active Duty sponsor regardless of the cause. A DD Form 1173 with “AD” in the Sponsor Service/Status field in combination with “DB” (DOD Beneficiary) or CH (Child Beneficiary) in the Relationship field on identification cards is required.
The Survivors’ Family Discount Program provides a 50 percent discount from normal room rates by applicable rate category. The discount applies to additional occupants and up to three guest rooms. Survivors’ Family discount requires the Survivors’ Family Member with a military identification card to make/confirm reservations and be the primary occupant.
The Survivors’ Family Program extends to sponsored guests accompanying the Survivors’ Family Member with a DD Form 1173. Stays under the Survivor Family Program are limited to a maximum 14 nights in duration. Discounts are applicable on guest room(s) only, cannot be combined with any other offer, and may be limited to certain locations and time periods at the discretion of the General Manager
How do nightly rates work?
Room Rates are based on military rank or civilian grade at the time of check-in. If you are a retired military member, your rate will be based on the rank achieved at the time of your retirement. Retired civilian members of the military community will pay the Category #3 rate. For others associated with the military (i.e. 100% disabled Veterans, Medal of Honor Recipients, etc.), please click here for Room Rate details. Room Rates are based on two adults occupying a standard room and four adults occupying the suites. Add $15 per additional adult 18 years or older. E1 through E6 and Cadet sponsor and dependents will receive the rate that applies to category one; any additional sponsored rooms will receive the rate that applies to category two. Room Rates are subject to change without notice.
Can I book additional rooms at SoG for friends and family?
Per SoG eligible guests and their dependent spouse may each sponsor up to three rooms. But to do this the sponsors must be staying at SoG at the same time and you must accompany your guest at time of check in. Your guests must check in the resort on the same day as you and must check out either on the same day as you or before you do. Obviously like with guests you bring onto base or post SoG also stated that you are responsible for your guests and they must follow the resorts rules.
Can non retiree veterans stay at Shades of Green?
SoG offers a “Salute our Veterans” special every September and January. Guests wishing to use this offer will need to present a copy of their DD214 at check-in. Room Rates are based upon verification of DD214 at the time of check-in. Veterans are given access to the ITT ticket desk in SoG during this time, but the 4-day AFS tickets are excluded from the ITT accessible option during those months for those staying there as part of the “SoV” special.
What Disney Resort guests perks do SoG guests not qualify for?
SoG resort guests do not qualify for Disney’s Dining Plan, though SoG offers a dining system in their pricing, this is only available in the hotel.
SoG guests also can not use the Magic Express from and to MCO, must pay to park at the Disney parks, do not receive Magic Your Way perks, and can not use room charge.
Do SoG guests get Magic Bands?
As SoG is not considered a Disney owned resort, guest of SoG do not receive MagicBands prior to their trip, but they CAN purchase them and attach them to their MDE account.
Does SoG have transportation to the parks?
- SoG guests flying into Florida will need to rent a car or pay for a shuttle to the resort as they do not qualify for Disney’s Magical Express shuttle, and SoG does not offer a resort to airport shuttle.
- To get to the parks SoG guests can either walk across to the Poly and use the monorail, or use the SoG offered shuttle that runs on a set time schedule to each park. Per the SoG site in regards to their shuttle “Shades of Green buses run throughout the day on a seasonal schedule. ADA options include ramps and lifts for certain designated routes so you can get in on all the fun. Shades of Green provides complimentary transportation to the Walt Disney World Resort theme parks for registered guests. Parking at the theme parks is $20 per day.”
- Shuttle transportation is available from Shades of Green to Universal Orlando Resort for a nominal round trip fee of $ 10.00 per adult and $ 5.00 per child. Under 4 is free. Advanced reservations are required.
The Parking fee for Universal Orlando Resort is $ 20.00 per day for automobiles and $ 22.00 per day for RV’s and campers.
- Shuttle transportation is available from Shades of Green to Sea World Orlando for a nominal round trip fee of $ 10.00 per adult and $ 5.00 per child. Under 4 is free. The parking fee for Sea World Orlando is $20.00 per day for automobiles and $ 22.00 per day for RV’s and campers.
What kind of rooms does SoG have?
SoG has several room options to choose from!
- Standard Guest rooms sleeps five and has two queen size beds, a single sleeper sofa, coffeemaker, refrigerator, in-room safe, hairdryer, iron and ironing board.
- Junior Suites sleeps six In the master room there is a king bed, TV and full bath the living area has two queen sleeper sofas, table and chairs, mini refrigerator, coffee maker, iron and board, TV, microwave and a full bath.
- The Family Suites sleep eight guests. In the master room there is a king bed, TV and full bath. In the living area there are two queen sleeper sofas, Murphy bed, table and chairs, mini refrigerator, coffee maker, iron and board, TV, microwave and a full bath.
- The Palm Suite sleep up to ten guests. The bedrooms have 2 queen size beds, (one ADA bed and one Sleep Number bed), and 1 single sleeper sofa, 42 inch flat screen TV in each of the bedrooms, and an additional single sleeper sofa in the living area. The Living area has a 42 inch flat screen TV and fire place. Dining room table with chairs and breakfast bar with chairs. The Kitchenette has a full size fridge and microwave. The two bathrooms are handicap accessible, one of them has a roll in shower.
- The Magnolia Suite sleeps five. The master room with King Bed and single sleeper sofa, flat screen TV, desk and private bathroom, living area has full sleeper sofa, mid size refrigerator, wine refrigerator, coffee pot and microwave and a bathroom.
- The Garden Suite sleeps four, the master room has 1 king bed with a full bath (stand shower only) The living area has a queen pull out sofa, table and chairs, desk with chair, mini fridge, microwave, coffee pot, iron and board and full bath (stand shower only) Please be advised guest may be preempted up to 90 days prior due to a wedding package.
Please know to ensure that the correct information was given some info in this article is a direct quote from the SoG website.
- Oogie Boogie Halloween Cupcakes! - October 24, 2021
- A Look at All the Places Where ‘Hocus Pocus’ Was Filmed 28 Years Ago - October 23, 2021
- TOKYOPOP Teams up With Cracker Barrel for Disney Manga in Stores! - October 23, 2021