“Can I use my Disney Gift Card in the park?” We get asked this question a lot here at TMSM. So today I wanted to take a moment to address this topic. The answer is as clear as swamp mud as there are technically 3 types of Disney Gift cards available for purchase at various retailers.
Let’s start with the newest card to the Disney Gift card family, the Disney Music Gift Card. This new card allows you to download music and movies at DisneyMusicStore.com. These cards can be purchased at select locations in Walt Disney World and Disneyland, Walmart, and select grocery stores. This card is a bit confusing as it LOOKS a lot like a “regular” Disney Gift Card. But the wording on the back makes it VERY clear that it’s purpose is in fact only for digital media download.
The next option is the “Online Disney Gift Card” sold only online by the Disney Store. The “Online Disney Gift Card” is bought online and delivered quickly to any valid email address. It can be purchased in $25 increments up to $150. Though this is a GREAT last minute “oops I forgot a birthday” option, the thing you need to remember about the “Online Disney Gift Card” is it can ONLY be used online at the Disneystore.com website.
The final option is the physical plastic Disney Gift Card. These can be purchased just about anywhere depending on the time of year. I have found Disney Gift Cards in pharmacies, Target, Walmart, Costco/BJ/Sam’s club, pretty much everyone with a gift card display carries a Disney Gift card. These precious monetary items are also available in Disney Stores, Disney theme parks, on Disney Cruise ships, and of course online at the Disney Store, and though Disney’s Gift Card site that has just shy of 200 designs to choose from.
Disney Store gift cards are “available in $25 increments up to $150 plus denominations of $200, $250, $300 and $500” giving you the freedom to spend as much, or as little as you want on a gift card. Many locations that sell the plastic Disney Card offer two options, a set amount card usually available in $25, $50 or $100 options, or in a “Create Your Own amount” with most requiring a minimum of $15 being put on the card. When purchased online Disney’s character and park design gift cards are mailed with “Free standard shipping” and you have the option to send your gift card in a personalized card of your choice ($6.95 includes standard shipping and handling)
For those of you who want a bit more personal touch in your gift card giving, The Disney Store now also offers a “Personalized Gift Card” option that lets you upload an image to a Disney Gift Card. Personalized Gift Cards are sent inside a Personalized Card Carrier with a personal special message of your choice. (Minimal personalization fee includes free shipping to any U.S. address).
Regardless of where you BUY these plastic gift cards, they all have something in common, they should all have the Parks and Cruise Line logos on the back of them telling you that they can in fact be used in a multitude of Disney locations. If these logos aren’t on the back of the card read the fine print on the back of the card to see where it is accepted. Per the Disney gift card site Disney Gift Cards can be “redeemable at DisneyStore.com, Disney Store locations in the in the U.S., participating locations at Walt Disney World® Resort in Florida, Disneyland® Resort in California, Disney Cruise Line®, ClubPenguin.com, and DisneyPhotoPass.com”.
Yes, that’s right! Disney Gift Cards can be used to pay for Disney Vacations! The trick to this though is you MUST save your gift cards because if you have to cancel your trip, or Disney needs to refund money to you the money will be returned to the Gift Cards that were used on the reservation. If you still have questions feel free to visit www.disneygiftcard.com/where-to-use/ for a complete list explaining how you can use your Disney Gift card.
Plastic Disney Gift cards can also be reloaded “for any amount between $5-$1,000.00 at any Disney location that sells Disney Gift Cards. Online reloads are not available at this time.” and because your Disney Gift card never expires this makes it all the more valuable when you are traveling. So keep those older card designs that you love because you can continue to use them!
*Neat Tip: Make sure if you are visiting Disney’s official Gift Card site that you check out “The Vault” to see all the retired Disney Gift Card Images!
Here are a few Frequently Asked Questions and Answers Directly from the Disney Gift Card Site that may answer any additional questions you have:
- Does my Disney Gift Card expire? No, the Disney Gift Card you purchased or received is valid for purchases until all remaining funds have been depleted from the card.
- Can I keep my Disney Gift Card after I’ve used it? Absolutely! Your Disney Gift Card can be reloaded or kept as a souvenir.
- How do I check my balance and transaction history on my Disney Gift Card ? Check your balance here or Call the toll free number on the back of your Disney Gift Card.
- Is a service fee charged for unused balances on my Disney Gift Card? There is no service fee for unused balances on the Disney Gift Card.
- Can I use my Disney Gift Card for Disney on Ice or Disney Theatrical purchases? Disney on Ice and Disney Theatrical do not accept the Disney Gift Card for purchases.
- Can I buy Disney Dollars with the Disney Gift Card? Disney Dollars cannot be purchased with the Disney Gift Card.
- Can I use my Disney Gift Card at Disney locations outside the US? Disney Gift Cards are only valid for purchases in the US.
- Can I use the Disney Gift Card at the Walt Disney World® Swan & Dolphin resorts and hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd? The Disney Gift Card is not redeemable at non-Disney owned hotels such as Walt Disney World® Swan & Dolphin resorts and hotels on Hotel Plaza Blvd. with the exception of the owned and operated Disney Merchandise locations that reside within these hotels.
- Can the Disney Gift Card be used at the Magic of Disney and Disney’s Earport at the Orlando International Airport? Yes, the Disney Gift Card can be used for purchases at the Magic of Disney and Disney’s Earport at the Orlando International Airport.
- What should I do if my Disney Gift Card is lost or stolen? Promptly call 1-877-650-4327 to report the card lost or stolen. Your Disney Gift Card will be ‘frozen’ and funds remaining on the card (at the time of the call) can be transferred onto a new card. An original proof of purchase receipt for the Disney Gift Card is required to transfer the funds onto a new Disney Gift Card.
- Releasing TODAY! The Haunted Mansion Warmer & Wax from Scentsy! - October 18, 2021
- “What’s this?” It’s a Jack Skellington Chia Pet! - October 17, 2021
- A Spooktacular Hocus Pocus Gender Reveal Party! - October 16, 2021