Anna and Elsa Frenzy Cause Changes to Rope Drop at the Magic Kingdom!

frozenprincess

This is just REALLY crazy! We have been talking quite a bit about the mass hysteria that the Frozen Characters are causing at the Magic Kingdom. 5 hour wait times, no FastPasses unless you plan way ahead, limited merchandise, etc. Well, now, according to CM sources, Rope Drop at the Magic Kingdom is now being changed due to the craziness that has ensued because of the Anna and Elsa meet and greet.

Rope drop hasn’t been the same since the Frozen girls hit the scene. People have been running, pushing and fighting their way down Main Street at rope drop, all in a hurry to get back to Fantasyland and get in line at the Princesss Fairytale Hall. Is it really worth THAT? So, in order to keep the Frozen fans at bay, Cast Members are going to slowly and peacefully (hopefully) walk guests down Main Street while holding a rope up and escort them to Fantasyland. Yes, like they do at the end of a parade with the rope or banner. Disney is doing this so people don’t get hurt by running down Main Street, dodging other guests, and hopping through stores to get a short cut, etc. Am I the ONLY one who finds this to be ridiculous???

Rope drop for the other lands at the Magic Kingdom will still continue on as usual, and the changes will be taking effect soon. We appreciate the info we have received, and will keep you all posted. What are your thoughts on the changes to rope drop? Anyone else think this is getting a bit out of hand? Tell us your thoughts!

Michele

Michele

Michele Atwood is the Owner/Editor of The Main Street Mouse and it’s subsidiaries and author of the books “Moving to Main Street U.S.A.” “How Many Sleeps Till Disney?” and “How Many Sleeps Till Disneyland?” Michele also contributes Disney news to the Joe Kelley Morning Show on 107.3 WDBO in Orlando. She and her family made the move from Michigan to the Orlando area to pursue their Disney dreams. Michele is a life long Disney fan, and has two sons who have followed suit, each going on their first Disney trip before their first birthday’s. Part of the goal Michele has for The Main Street Mouse is not only to keep members informed, but to create somewhat of a Disney Family by relating to others through personal experiences and opinions. Also, Michele is making it a priority to share stories of inspiration and hope to other Disney Fans in an effort to share the Magic and hopefully make a difference in the lives of others. ~ I enjoy writing personal perspective blogs, doing TMSM Meet Ups for our readers, and keeping the constant interaction going with others, sharing the Disney Magic to people when they can’t be at their Happy Place.

Michele has 6480 posts and counting. See all posts by Michele

mm

16 thoughts on “Anna and Elsa Frenzy Cause Changes to Rope Drop at the Magic Kingdom!

• May 15, 2014 at 3:00 pm

Didn’t they do this for a while when Toy Story Mania first opened?

• May 15, 2014 at 8:36 am

They do the same thing at Disneyland for Cars Land, we were at the rope drop, but the cast members walked everyone very slowly and safely to the entrance of the ride, which was fine, kept people from getting hurt.

• May 15, 2014 at 7:15 am

Once upon a time I worked Main Street Ops and did the rope drops. Every rope drop has involved runners trampling over guests and cast members. (Everyday was the same- and it never ceased to amaze me. I understand it’s exciting to get to your favorite rides…but really?! I was run over the first time as a rookie. The next times I learned I had to move quickly or risk a football tackle.) I don’t see how they are “walking” them down Main Street if the other bridges are going to be business as usual. This will only get the runners to go through one of the other sections to sprint through. Eventually I can see the frozen cast magically making appearances throughout all of the parks. I believe they are trying to find safe places for them that make sense with the themes in each park.

• May 15, 2014 at 3:14 am

Sounds a bit like Disneyland Paris except there people barge and push and shove to get past just so that they can get to Thunder Mountain! And thats even with a cast member or two assisting

• May 14, 2014 at 10:25 pm

I agree with Quase and said the same thing to my husband weeks ago. They do it with Mickey (or they did in Toontown). It is not going to spoil the magic. The other thing is to delay the opening of their meet-n-greet until after the park opens with no lining up before say 15 minutes before that time. That will give people less incentive to trample others when the park is opening…. Perhaps having them available for the fast passers only in the unopened time. Just a thought.

• May 14, 2014 at 7:44 pm

We were at Disney over Easter. Saw Anna and Elsa in Epcot on a Saturday afternoon. The line was only 2 hours. Half the wait of Magic Kingdom. They are in the Norway section.

• May 15, 2014 at 9:02 am

They moved them from Norway to MK because the lines became so long.

• May 14, 2014 at 6:53 pm

I agree they should have Anna and Elsa in each park…why not they have multiple of all the other princesses and traditional mickey and friends just different outfits for each park. It would solve the craziness. The rope drop isn’t going to help in my opinion, people will still race to get to the front to be first.

• May 14, 2014 at 6:13 pm

I agree with Quase and She both. I think that the poor cast members who have to do this will get trampled themselves. I have been to WDW many, many times and other theme parks and have encountered many parents pushing/shoving to be first in line. They should have more Anna’s and Elsa’s strategically placed in each park, and if there is any pushing, running, bad behavior those people should lose their privilege of enjoying the park that day and lose their ticket.

• May 14, 2014 at 5:38 pm

I totally agree with Quase!!! That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking since the beginning. That’s what Macy’s in NYC does with their Santa. No “magic” is lost. The rope thing is crazy. Hire more actors 🙂

• May 14, 2014 at 5:21 pm

Yaay… they are doing something! But a rope down Main Street? Really? Like Kindergarteners? What about passing out those pager things that restaurants give out…. there are plenty of other ways to combat the issue. How about removing the runners from the park with no refund?…. Post signs at entry, purchase booth and website that says ALL violators will be removed etc… There are cameras everywhere in the park… it would be easy for security to locate the runners.

It was a good idea that Quase had… add more cast members….

• May 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I think its a good idea to keep people from getting harmed, however, we all know people are not always respectful of the rules. I also agree with Quase….if they have a few Elsa and Anna’s it would alleviate the problem. Have one set in MK, one in Epcot…one in Hollywood Studios. They can wear different outfits….in MK Elsa’s blue dress and Anna’s blue outfit that she bought from the merchant, in Epcot, they can wear the coronation outfits. I hope it works out well and that people abide by the rules.

• May 14, 2014 at 3:53 pm

Having seen this, I am so glad Disney had decided to do this. People running down the street is not a safe activity. People, I heard, have been hurt and when they got to the lines, moms and kids had to go over under lines to catch up with dad. Another unsafe activity.

• May 14, 2014 at 2:43 pm

What I don’t understand, and forgive me for breaking the magic a bit, is why don’t they have, say, 5 pairs of Annas and Elsas to meet guests. Just have them in separate rooms obviously, and split the line a bit before you get to them. Guests will be none the wiser, and you can reduce those wait times from 5 hours to 1.

• May 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm

We are going to WDW in 10 days – I hope this new procedure helps, I don’t want to get trampled on upon entering the Park; we will not be visiting with the ladies from Frozen. Any tips on not getting run over are welcomed!